Wednesday, October 27, 2010
Banana Date Bread
I am always looking for ways to make tasty baked goods with less sugar - this recipe is my greatest success yet! This bread relies solely on fruit, bananas and dates, for sweetness. Alfred has a BIG sweet tooth and he didn't miss the sugar at all! So, this is one treat you can feel good about serving yourself and your loved ones!
Banana Date Loaf (Makes 1 Loaf)
1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract or Rum
2 Tablespoons Oil (I used olive oil)
2 Tablespoons Boiling Water
1 Cup Pitted Dates, diced
2 Cups of Flour (because I made this for Alfred I used 1 Cup All Purpose, 1 Cup Whole Wheat, you could also use a gluten-free all purpose flour blend if that suits your needs)
2 teaspoons Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
3 large, very ripe Bananas, mashed thoroughly or pureed
1 Egg, beaten
1/4 Cup chopped nuts (I used pecans)
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly oil and flour your loaf pan so the bread will not stick.
2) In a large mixing bowl, combine the vanilla/rum, oil, hot water, and dates. Set aside.
3) In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
4) Use a fork to gently mash the date mixture then mix in the bananas and egg.
5) Stir together the wet and dry ingredients until just combined.
6) Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan, and sprinkle the chopped nuts on top.
7) Bake the bread in the center of your oven for 45 minutes – 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool on a rack or a plate.
Enjoy a slice for breakfast, tea time, or dessert!
As usual, I've also included this post as part of several weekly recipe sharing events: Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays , Making Monday Marvelous, Just Something I Whipped Up, My Meatless Mondays, Just Another Meatless Monday, Slightly Induglent Tuesday, Tempt my Tummy Tuesday, Tasty Tuesdays , Tuesdays at the Table, Real Food Wednesdays, Friday Foodie, Family Food Fridays, and Friday Favorites. Check out all the great recipes other bloggers have contributed!