Saturday, November 27, 2010
Sweet treats are always plentiful around the holidays. Many of them are off the charts when it comes to calories and fat. While these muffins aren't exactly health food, mashed bananas, whole wheat flour, and dark chocolate contribute lots of good-for-you potassium, fiber and antioxidants. At the same time, these are super moist and chocolaty. So go ahead and indulge yourself a little! These also make a nice gift, especially when topped with the optional glaze. Happy Holidays!
2 large very ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 Cup Buttermilk (I used low-fat)
1/4 Cup Instant Coffee
1/4 Cup Oil (or Applesauce)
1 Egg, beaten
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1 3/4 Cup Flour (I used a mixture of white and whole wheat)
1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 Cup Dark Chocolate Chunks or Chips (I chopped up a bar of Trader Joe's 72% dark chocolate)
Coarse Sugar (optional)
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan or line it with paper muffin liners.
2) Stir the instant coffee powder into the milk until it is dissolved (heating the milk slightly may help). Stir in the bananas, oil, egg, vanilla extract, and brown sugar.
3) In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
4) Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, stir until thoroughly combined. Fold in the chocolate chunks/chips.
5) Divide the batter equally among the 12 muffin cups, sprinkle the top of each with coarse sugar if using.
6) Bake muffins for approximately 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
*Optional Glaze: If using, omit the coarse sugar topping
1/4 Cup Confectioner Sugar
1 Tablespoon Instant Coffee
1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
2 Tablespoons Milk (add a little more or less to achieve desired consistency)
Combine sugar, coffee and cinnamon. Whisk in milk until you have a smooth glaze. Drizzle over cooled muffins, let sit until glaze sets.
As usual, I've also included this post as part of several weekly recipe sharing events: Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays , Making Monday Marvelous, Just Something I Whipped Up, My Meatless Mondays, Just Another Meatless Monday, Slightly Induglent Tuesday, Tempt my Tummy Tuesday, Tasty Tuesdays , Tuesdays at the Table, Real Food Wednesdays, Friday Foodie, Family Food Fridays, and Friday Favorites. Check out all the great recipes other bloggers have contributed!