Sunday, April 24, 2011
Magic Chocolate Mousse Tart
This is one of the most decadent desserts I have ever had the pleasure of consuming! It is also unbelievably simple to prepare - which brings us to the magic part! The magic ingredient is (drum roll)....water! Water? Yes, water! This rich, decadent, creamy, truffle-like mousse is a simple combination of chocolate and water. This video provides the best explanation of how it works, but trust me that it works - we've made this tart three times now, and it was perfecto every time!
***In this recipe it is especially important to use a very good quality dark chocolate - the flavor of the mousse is completely dependent on the flavor of the chocolate, so make sure you like the taste of your chocolate before proceeding with the recipe! We use Trader Joe's 73% Cacao Belgian Dark Chocolate, it is divine!
Note: You can actually serve the mousse as is, but we like it in a slightly salty almond crust - it provides the perfect balance to the bittersweet chocolate. You can also flavor the mousse in a countless number of ways by adding a bit of extract or liqueur - orange, mint, raspberry, coffee, etc.
Magic Chocolate Mousse Tart:
Salty Almond Crust
1 1/2 Cups Finely Ground Almonds (AKA Almond Meal or Almond Flour)
3/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
1 teaspoon Cinnamon (optional)
1/2 teaspoon Almond Extract (optional)
2 Tablespoons of Honey or Agave Nectar
3 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine all of the crust ingredients. Press the crust evenly into the bottom and sides of an 8 or 9 inch tart pan. Bake 10-15 minutes, until lightly golden brown, set aside to cool.
Magic Chocolate Mousse:
A large bowl, filled half way full of ice
1/2 Pound Finely Chopped Dark Chocolates
1 Cup Boiling Water
1/4 Cup Honey or Agave Nectar (optional - add more or less depending on the sweetness of your chocolate and your taste preferences)
1 teaspoon of Cinnamon (optional - we just love cinnamon!)
1/4 Cup Sliced Almonds, toasted (optional - for sprinkling on top of the tart)
1) Have your bowl of ice ready.
2) Place the chocolate, honey, and cinnamon and a glass or metal bowl that will easily fit within the the large bowl of ice. But don't put it in the ice yet - first melt the chocolate!
3) To melt the chocolate, pour the boiling water over the chocolate, honey, and cinnamon. Use a whisk to stir the mixture until it is completely melted - the finer the chocolate is chopped the easier and quicker this will be. *If your chocolate doesn't melt all the way, you can melt it in a pot, over a double boiler, or in the microwave, and then return it to the metal or glass bowl.
4) Once the chocolate is melted, nestle the bowl of chocolate in the bowl of ice and immediately start whipping it with your whisk - whisk vigorously like you would to make whipped cream or meringue. Your arm may get tired, switch hands if you need to or have a side kick take over (my preferred approach), but don't stop whipping until the mixture has lightened a bit in color and it has become slightly thicker than whipped cream - it should hold stiff peaks.
5) Immediately spread the chocolate mixture in the cooled tart shell, then sprinkle with toasted almonds (if using). ***If your chocolate becomes too thick and won't easily spread in the crust don't panic (this has happened to me) just do your best to press it into the tart evenly and then dip a spoon into hot water and use it to smooth out the top.
Another great part of this mousse is it is ready instantly - no refrigeration needed, so dig right in and prepare to swoon!
Best of all, you don't need to feel guilty about eating it: anti-oxidant rich dark chocolate, omega-3 filled almonds and no refined sweeteners or animal fat make for a pretty great nutritional profile!
P.S. You also can't go wrong adding fresh raspberries to the top!
As usual, I've included this post as part of several weekly recipe sharing events: Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays , Making Monday Marvelous, Just Something I Whipped Up, My Meatless Mondays, Just Another Meatless Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tempt my Tummy Tuesday, Tasty Tuesdays , Tuesdays at the Table, Real Food Wednesdays, Whatcha Makin' Wednesdays, Full Plate Thursday, Friday Foodie, Friday Favorites, Foodie Friday, Funky Fresh Friday, Sweet Tooth Friday, Sweets for a Saturday, Nifty Thrifty Sunday, and A Themed Baker's Sunday - This week's theme is Chocolate! Check out all the great recipes other bloggers have contributed!